Austin bartender Caer Maiko Ferguson’s agave-centric take on a classic New York Sour, the Twilight Treasure Fizz, features a mulled wine syrup that finds a second use for that two-day-old bottle of red. “The great thing about mulling wine is the variety of spices you can use,” says Ferguson. “This particular mix is inspired by the ingredients in many of the delicious mole sauces I’ve tried when visiting Mexico.” Ferguson combines the sweet and spice of the mole-inspired wine syrup with the savory vanilla notes of El Tesoro™ Reposado Tequila in this avant-garde take on mulled wine.
Twilight Treasure Fizz
Caer Maiko Ferguson | Austin, TX
- 1 1/2 parts El Tesoro™ Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 part lemon juice
- 3/4 part Mulled Mole Wine Syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 egg white
- Soda water, to top
Garnish: Chocolate shavings
- Add 1/4 part of Mulled Mole Wine Syrup to the bottom of a chilled Collins glass.
- Add the El Tesoro™ Reposado Tequila, lemon juice, egg white and the remaining 1/2 part of the Mulled Mole Wine Syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake without ice to combine the ingredients. After dry shaking, fill your shaker with ice and short shake to slightly chill without diluting.
- Slowly strain into the chilled Collins glass over ice, and top with soda water.
- Express and discard the oils of one orange peel and garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Serve with a reusable straw.
Mulled Mole Wine Syrup
1 bottle full-bodied red wine
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise pods
8 allspice berries
16 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
10 black raisins
2 1/2 cups white sugar
peel of 1 orange
peel of 1 lemon
Place a medium-sized sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, allspice berries, peppercorns, sesame seeds and almonds and toast until lightly fragrant, then add the nutmeg. Add the lemon zest, orange juice, orange zest, raisins, wine and sugar and bring to a boil for 15 minutes or until moderately thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain into a vessel with a sealable lid, and refrigerate.