Brian Evans knew he wanted to have a Whiskey Sour variation on the menu at the new Lobby Bar in the Hotel Chelsea. He looked to the Cameron’s Kick—an Irish whiskey and Scotch Sour with lemon and orgeat—as a way of incorporating the unexpected modern flavors of tomato, macadamia nut and curry leaf.
Brian Evans | New York
- 2 ounces pot still Irish whiskey, preferably Powers Gold Label
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- generous 1/2 ounce macadamia nut orgeat (see Editor’s Note)
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 cherry tomatoes
Garnish: fresh curry leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin and muddle.
- Fill tin with cubed ice and hard-shake for 8 to 10 seconds.
- Double-strain over cubed ice (or one large cube) into a chilled double rocks glass.
- Garnish with a curry leaf.
Macadamia Nut Orgeat
500 grams coconut water (good-quality, purple-hued types, preferably Copra or Harmless brand)
150 grams raw macadamia nuts
4 grams kosher salt
white granulated sugar
1. Combine coconut water, raw macadamia nuts and salt into a blender, then pulse three times in brief, 2-second intervals. Do not purée.
2. Pour the blender contents, unstrained, into a shallow, nonreactive container. Cover, then refrigerate to infuse for at least 12 hours.
3. Position the container of a blender on a gram scale and strain the nut milk into the blender using a cheesecloth or Superbag.
4. Add an equal weight in sugar and blend on high until sugar fully dissolves.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. A film of solids may settle and coat the surface of the liquid; it can be skimmed off easily using a spoon, for a clearer result.