Something like miso soup meets a Bloody Mary—instead of Worcestershire, bartender Kenta Goto uses miso for an extra umami kick on top of a simple infusion of vodka with dried shitake mushrooms. Red chili essence is optional, but mimics the flavors found in Korean hot pot.
- 1 3/4 ounces shiitake-infused vodka (See Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounces lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon miso
- 2 ounces tomato juice
- 2 ounces Clamato juice
- 1 pinch red chili essence (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a highball glass.
- Use a hand mixer to dissolve miso thoroughly.
- Add ice to the glass and stir lightly.
- Garnish with an olive.
To make shitake-infused vodka, add 30 grams of dried shiitake into 1 liter of potato vodka for 6 hours at room temperature. Strain and store.