At his cocktail bar near the Vatican, Massimo D’Addezio combines mezcal and Martini Gran Lusso with bitter flavors and an amaro infused with quinine and bitter orange.
- 1 1/3 ounces mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Vida
- 1 1/3 ounces sweet vermouth, preferably Martini Gran Lusso
- 2/3 ounce China Clementi
- 4 dashes amaro, preferably Petrus Boonekamp Amaro
Garnish: licorice root
- In an Old-Fashioned glass, combine the mezcal, vermouth, China Clementi and amaro.
- Add ice cubes and stir until chilled.
- Garnish with licorice root.