Turning the idea of a Whiskey Sour on its head, the bar team at The Freehand Hotel in Miami first takes a batch of fresh, ripe strawberries, smokes them in a meat smoker and turns them into a hazy, pink syrup. They then mix it into a heady formula of rye whiskey and Ramazzotti amaro resulting in an elusively fruity, yet savory sour.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye
- 1/2 ounce Ramazzotti Amaro
- 3/4 ounce smoked strawberry syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lemon juice
Garnish: dehydrated orange wheel
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with a dehydrated orange wheel.
To make smoked strawberry syrup, cut 1 pint of strawberries into halves and place in a meat smoker for about 30 minutes. Then add strawberries and 1 cup of water to a pot and bring to boil. Add 1 cup of sugar, and stir to dissolve. Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool before storing in the refrigerator in an airtight container.