Bar manager Jesse Duré describes this drink, which was part of the winter drink menu at New York’s Chumley’s, as “a Scotch and soda variation on a Rusty Nail, a little more refreshing and sessionable.” Alongside grapefruit juice, Angostura and coffee extract, Drambuie adds sweetness and body; no extra sugar or simple syrups are added.
- 2 ounces Scotch, preferably Singleton 12 year old Scotch whisky
- 1/2 ounce Drambuie
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 4 drops coffee extract, preferably Terra Spice Co.
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- club soda, to top
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients in a highball glass with ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Express the grapefruit peel and garnish with it.