This Kalimotxo-inspired riff takes the classic Spanish combination of red wine and Coke in a new direction with the addition of Fernet-Branca and the bitter vermouth Punt e Mes along with a housemade cola syrup. Dow and Marrone tried a number of different amari before realizing that the missing element was Fernet-Branca all along. “Something was missing. That was when the light bulb went off, ‘Lets just try Fernet-Branca,'” says Dow.
Robby Dow and Ally Marrone, Grand Army | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 1/2 ounces red wine, preferably still lambrusco or any medium-bodied dry red
- 1/2 ounce Punt e Mes
- 1/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 3/4 ounce cola syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 ounce soda water, preferably Fever-Tree
Garnish: orange slices
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a cocktail shaker and add ice.
- Shake until chilled.
- Fine strain into an ice-filled wine glass and top with soda water.
- Garnish with two fresh orange slices.
1 part Coca-Cola
2 parts white sugar
Measure the ingredients by weight, then add to a saucepan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool then bottle and store in the refrigerator.