Inspired by a sponsored Tiki Monday with Miller, helmed by tiki iconoclast Brian Miller, which highlighted pisco, gin and rum brands, this drink calls on all three for a result that’s as unexpected as the carnivorous plant from which it takes its name. “I like to make spirit blends,” says Jelani Johnson by way of explanation. To a pisco base, Johnson adds Jamaican rum and gin, which are complemented by passionfruit, orgeat and lime and served over crushed ice. The result is, in his words, “fruity, complex, tropical.”
- 1 ounce Macchu Pisco
- 3/4 ounce Gordon's Gin
- 1/2 ounce Appleton Reserve Blend Rum
- 1/2 ounce Zacapa Rum
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce passionfruit concentrate, preferably The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley
- 1/2 ounce Latitude 29 Formula Falernum
- 1/4 ounce Latitude 29 Formula Orgeat
- 1/4 ounce Orgeat Works Ltd. T'Orgeat
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon bark syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: orchid, Fly Trap (lime and cherry)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and whip shake (with crushed or pebble ice) to chill.
- Pour into a tall Pilsner glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a Fly Trap (lime and cherry, skewered) and an orchid.
Cinnamon Bark Syrup
1 ounce gently crushed cinnamon bark
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool overnight at room temperature, then strain.