In this drink, New Orleans-based bartender Scott Hicks looks to Tra Kal made with Patagonian crabapple for an unexpected bitter burst alongside cranberry and citrus. “Their sharp, almost bitter taste is a welcome change to the cocktail world, where most apple-based spirits trend more towards sweet,” explains Hicks. “The concept of such a bold eau de vie with original flavors drew me in right away.”
- 1 1/4 ounce gin, preferably Tanqueray
- 1/2 ounce Tra Kal
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 1/4 ounce cranberry brandy, preferably Clear Creek Cranberry
- 4 drops saline solution
Garnish: orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with an orange peel.