Though it may seem like a breezy summer cocktail with the inclusion of citrusy Combier and herbal-sweet Cocchi Americano, the Weathered Axe easily transitions into a cold weather drink with the swap of a garnish. This staple at Chicago’s Scofflaw is traditionally served with a bouquet of fresh, cooling mint and a spritz of absinthe, but come January the evergreen aromatics of rosemary transform the Axe into a savory winter drink.
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, 100-proof
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Combier
- 1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: mint sprig (PUNCH substitutes rosemary for a seasonal wintery touch), and a spritz of absinthe
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a bouquet of mint or a sprig of rosemary.
Scofflaw uses homemade ginger syrup, with 6 parts rich simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water) to 1 part pure ginger juice. If you can't source ginger juice, muddle several chunks of ginger with a 1/2 ounce of simple syrup in a cocktail shaker before adding remaining ingredients.