Ryan Chetiyawardana opts for yogurt whey (the result of straining full-fat yogurt for half an hour) to add richness in his wintry Whey Punch. Mixed with Scotch, maple syrup and rooibos tea, Chetiyawardana notes it still maintains the spirit of a clarified milk punch with a fast-tracked method. “It still manages to get the silkiness you want to drink,” he says.
- Scant 1 1/2 ounces blended scotch
- Scant 1 3/4 ounces yogurt whey (see Editor’s Note)
- 2 barspoons maple syrup
- 2 2/3 ounces brewed rooibos tea, cooled
- 3 dashes Peychaud bitters
- 1 dash salt solution (10%)
Garnish: orange horse's neck and discarded lemon coin
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a highball glass over large ice cubes.
- Garnish with orange horse's neck and discarded lemon coin.
Wrap full fat yogurt in a cheese cloth and hang over a bowl for 30 minutes. Press the yogurt to extract more whey. Retain the thickened yogurt.