Meaghan Dorman’s take on the Whiskey Sour doesn’t hold back on the spice. A split base of rye whiskey and chile liqueur brings the heat, while a rich cinnamon syrup delivers a hint of sweetness.
- 1 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Rittenhouse
- 1 ounce chile liqueur, preferably Ancho Reyes
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce rich cinnamon syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon wheel dusted in ancho chile powder
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a glass over a ice.
- Garnish with lemon wheel dusted in ancho chile powder.
2 cups sugar
1 cup hot water
4 cinnamon sticks
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Let the mixture cool overnight and strain out the solids before using.