The layman’s Mint Julep, the Whiskey Smash comes with all of the flavor of its more famous relative but without the associated frippery (tin cups, Derby hats, et al.). Jerry Thomas called it, “The Julep on a small plan.” A few slices of muddled lemon and a fistful of mint helps lift and brighten the flavors, making this potent number dangerously easy to toss back.
The Julep on a small plan.
- 2 ounces bourbon or rye
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 2 wheels lemon
- 1 sprig mint
Garnish: mint sprig and lemon wheel
- In a rocks glass, gently muddle mint with simple syrup to release oils.
- Add lemon pieces and muddle to release juice.
- Add crushed ice or small ice cubes and pour bourbon over.
- Swizzle gently to mix.
- Garnish with a mint spring and lemon wheel.