At a recent Jungle Bird blind tasting, William Elliott of Maison Premiere placed second. His recipe calls on the expected Cruzan Black Strap alongside Hamilton Jamaican Black rum as the boozy backbone.
William Elliott’s Jungle Bird
William Elliott, Maison Premiere | Brooklyn, NY
- A few drops saline (4:1, water:salt)
- 1/2 ounce J.M. Sirop De Canne
- Scant 3/4 ounce lime juice
- Scant 3/4 ounce Campari
- Scant 3/4 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum
- Heavy 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce black rum, preferably Cruzan
Garnish: Campari-soaked pineapple wedge, fanned pineapple leaf skewered with cherry
- Add pebble ice to a mixing tin and whip shake until dissolved.
- Strain into a rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with Campari-soaked pineapple wedge and fanned pineapple leaf skewered with cherry.