At a recent Jungle Bird blind tasting, William Elliott of Maison Premiere placed second. His recipe calls on the expected Cruzan Black Strap alongside Hamilton Jamaican Black rum as the boozy backbone.
- A few drops saline (4:1, water:salt)
- 1/2 ounce J.M. Sirop De Canne
- Scant 3/4 ounce lime juice
- Scant 3/4 ounce Campari
- Scant 3/4 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum
- Heavy 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce black rum, preferably Cruzan
Garnish: Campari-soaked pineapple wedge, fanned pineapple leaf skewered with cherry
- Add pebble ice to a mixing tin and whip shake until dissolved.
- Strain into a rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with Campari-soaked pineapple wedge and fanned pineapple leaf skewered with cherry.