Gin and vodka aren’t the only clear spirits that get on famously with tonic. Named after an Octavio Paz poem, Phoebe Esmon’s cocktail starts with blanco tequila, building complexity with citrus and chile liqueur. The addition of Indian tonic helps smooth out the edges.
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila, preferably Tapatio
- 1/2 ounce Ancho Reyes Verde
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 small pinch salt
- tonic water, preferably Fever-Tree East India Tonic (to top)
Garnish: fresh celery leaves
- Combine all ingredients, except for tonic water, in a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with tonic water.
- Garnish with fresh celery leaves.