Dark, molasses-forward blackstrap rum is rarely the star player in a cocktail; here, it plays a supporting role, serving “to enhance the flavor of the other rums,” says Tyson Buhler of his tropical-style drink that combines pineapple juice with cold brew concentrate.
- 1 ounce overproof dark rum, preferably Plantation OFTD
- 1/2 ounce dark Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1/2 ounce blackstrap rum, preferably Cruzan Black Strap
- 1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce cold brew concentrate
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (1:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
Garnish: pineapple frond, nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and whip shake with 3 ice cubes.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Add crushed ice and mix with a swizzle stick or spoon to combine.
- Top with crushed ice to fill the glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple frond and nutmeg.
- Serve with a straw.