Abigail Gullo, Bar Manager of restaurant Compère Lapin in New Orleans, invokes a dry sense of humor with her Manhattan riff, the Wry Smile. Using rye whiskey as a base, she blends in two amaros, a vermouth and cream sherry for a sweet-bitter balance. Cappelletti Amaro Sfumato adds both “bitter and juicy notes,” she says.
- 2 ounces rye whiskey, preferably Redemption
- 1/2 ounce Cappelletti Amaro Sfumato
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Cocchi di Torino
- 1/2 ounce Greenbar Poppy Amaro
- 1/2 ounce Lustau East India Sherry
Garnish: lemon twist
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass and garnish with a lemon twist.