In the Yazoo Street Scandal, Damon Boelte adds strength and richness with a hit of bourbon and a dose of both hibiscus and ginger syrups. With the addition of black tea, this drink is a springtime take on the Collins that “tastes like a cross between the best sweet tea you’ve ever had and a high-rolling Mojito.”
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon , preferably Wild Turkey
- 3/4 ounce hibiscus syrup (1 tea bag steeped with a cup of 1:1 simple syrup)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce ginger syrup (1:1, sugar:ginger juice)
- 1 ounce iced black tea
- 5 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint sprig, lemon wheel
- Muddle the mint in a Collins glass and add in all remaining ingredients, save for the bitters.
- Fill the glass with crushed ice and swizzle.
- Top with the bitters and garnish with a mint sprig and a lemon wheel.
This drink can easily be scaled up into a large-format cocktail; for guidelines, see here.