Tujague’s was a workingman’s riverfront bar when it first opened in 1856, and remained so when it moved to its present location in 1914. The workingmen have since left—as has the riverfront, for that matter, which now lies on the other side of a floodwall and levee—but the long cypress bar remains. It was crafted for the original Tujague’s, which was the first stand-up bar in the city, where the workers came in, knocked back a shot and went back to work on the wharves. Bar stools are still absent. Today it’s attached to an equally historic restaurant, and still maintains a pleasingly antiquated feel, dominated by an impressive wooden backbar shipped from Paris in the mid-19th century. Along bustling Decatur Street near Café du Monde, Tujague’s attracts an appealing mix of tourists and locals.
- day drinking