Bartender James Socci has long been inspired by the Greek myth of Helen of Troy, so she decided to craft a cocktail in tribute to the legendary beauty. Using primarily ingredients that would have been available in the ancient world, she accents the base spirit of gin with soft spice and floral flavors provided by cardamom honey and rose water. Rhubarb jam adds earthy, tart depth, while an egg white and soda water gives the drink a frothy texture.
- 1 1/2 parts Bombay Sapphire gin
- 1 part cardamom-honey syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 parts lemon juice
- 1/2 parts egg white
- 1 teaspoon rhubarb jam
- 8 drops rose water
- 1 1/2 parts soda water
- Lemon peel
Garnish: rose petal
- Dry shake first six ingredients.
- Add one ice cube and shake until dissolved.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake.
- Double-strain into footed highball glass.
- Top with soda water, and express lemon peel over top.
- Garnish with a rose petal.
Heat 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of freshly crushed cardamom seeds on medium-low heat. Stir frequently. When honey and water are fully blended and have taken on the taste of cardamom, remove from heat and pass through a fine-mesh strainer. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.