“My inspiration for this cocktail was the idea of bringing together East and West,” Dev Johnson says. “Yes, teas historically come from the East, but cultures of the West are familiar with their flavors, especially English breakfast tea.” The tannins in the black tea enhance some of the plum and pear notes found in the brown sugar shochu, he adds, which has a mellow aroma similar to whiskey.
Brown Sugar and Beyond
Dev Johnson, Employees Only | New York City
- 3 ounces Jougo shochu
- 1 Stash English breakfast tea bag
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1 ratio of sugar to water)
Garnish: orange twist
- In a mixing glass, pour the shochu over the tea bag and allow to infuse for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove the tea bag. (It can be used again to make 3 to 4 other drinks, Johnson says.)
- Add simple syrup and ice, and stir.
- Strain into an Old-Fashioned glass.
- Garnish with orange twist.