“I’ve always enjoyed the way Scotch plays with fortified wines, spiced and fruit flavors,” says head bartender Evans of this drink, which channels the essence of baked goods from banana bread to spice cake. Named after the moon-watcher ape from the introduction of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, head bartender Evans describes this drink as “a sort of a Rob Roy for the holiday season.”
- 1 1/4 ounces blended Scotch, preferably Black Bottle
- 3/4 ounce Rainwater Madeira
- 1/4 ounce Hamilton Pimento Dram
- 1/4 ounce Giffard Banane du Bresil
- 3 dashes Bittermens New England Spiced Cranberry Bitters
Garnish: skewered cranberry, lime peel, mist of pimento dram
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Strain into chilled Nick and Nora glass.
- Garnish with skewered cranberry and lime peel, then mist with pimento dram.