At Dauphine’s in New Orleans, the vermouths are batched together ahead of time and refrigerated to enable quick service, but below is the recipe for a single serve. The ingredients are deliberately mixed together without ice to avoid over-dilution and preserve the character of the vermouth.
- 1 1/2 ounces blanc vermouth, preferably La Quintinye Blanc Royal
- 1 1/2 ounuces sweet vermouth, preferably Cinzano 1757 Rosso di Torino
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 dash Regans' orange bitters
Garnish: lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass without ice and stir.
- Pour into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Express the lemon peel, then quickly swipe the peel side over the outside of the glass, front, both sides and back.
- Garnish with lemon peel “for a snapper, brighter drink” or discard it for a “rounder and richer” effect.