Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Two plaques have been installed in the Hungarian village of Mád to commemorate the important role played by Jewish families in the production of the region’s famed Tokaj wine.
– A half-century ago, Robert Mondavi began the transformation of Napa Valley from plum country to wine mecca with the opening of his vineyard, the region’s first major winery to open since Prohibition.
– To meet the demands of health-conscious consumers, drink purveyors are creating vegan, gluten-free, low-sugar and other all-natural options, including those that swap out egg whites for chickpea liquid.
– With producers trying to understand the precise process of whiskey-aging—and a host of entrepreneurs trying to bypass the process entirely—a veritable whiskey-aging arms race has begun.
– Finally, Lucky Peach talks with the team behind Greenpoint’s Tørst and Luksus about their daily operations.
[Photo: Flickr/James Daisa]