Hailing from proto-tiki bar Cane & Table, Sam Kiley gives this rum highball a tropical twist. “A float of pomegranate juice adds flavor, acidity and an ombre that goes beautifully with the pink soda,” she explains, yielding a highball that’s “fun, flirty and will transport you to an island state of being.”
Sam Kiley, Cane & Table | New Orleans
- 1 ounce Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold rum
- 1/2 ounce Marie Brizard Anisette liqueur
- 1/4 ounce Chinola passion fruit liqueur
- 1/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 to 2 1/2 ounces Fever-Tree Sparkling Pink Grapefruit
- 1/4 ounce pomegranate juice
Garnish: dehydrated lemon wheel and fresh fennel frond
- Add the first four ingredients to a Collins glass half-filled with crushed ice.
- Scoop in more crushed ice, to fill the glass.
- Top up with grapefruit soda.
- Float pomegranate juice on top by pouring it slowly over the rounded back of a spoon.
- Garnish with a dehydrated lemon wheel and a fennel frond. Serve with two straws. “Give your fennel frond a little slap against your wrist to enhance the lovely aroma,” Kiley advises, and position the straws as close as possible to the garnishes so the aromas are unmissable.