John Ottman’s interpretation is close to the Harry Johnson formula for the Turf Club, marshaling two ounces of gin to three-quarters of an ounce of dry vermouth with touches of maraschino and absinthe, but also orange bitters.
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Beefeater
- 3/4 ounce dry vermouth
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 3 dashes absinthe, preferably St. George
- 3 dashes orange bitters blend (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe.
- garnish with a lemon twist.
Orange Bitters Blend
Combine equal parts Angostura Orange Bitters, Fee Brothers Orange Bitters and Regans' Orange Bitters No. 6