This Espresso Martini riff nods to Jolt cola, a super-caffeinated soft drink popular in the 1980s and ’90s. Cherry liqueur and a spiced simple syrup suggest Jolt’s cherry-cola flavor profile, while navy-strength gin provides plenty of alcohol jolt.
- 1 1/2 ounces navy-strength gin, preferably Perry's Tot
- 3/4 ounces espresso, brewed and chilled
- 1/2 ounce cherry liqueur, preferably Combier
- 1/3 ounce five-spice simple syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce Becherovka
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with lemon twist.
Five Spice Simple Syrup
1/2 tsp pink peppercorns
1 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
Toast spices over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Combine water and sugar in a pot and stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add toasted spices and stir for an additional minute. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand for two hours. Strain and store in an airtight container.