Paul MacDonald, of Philadelphia’s Friday Saturday Sunday, uses the tropical tradition of floating bitters to create a drink with a “temperate-zone tiki” vibe. His calvados swizzle, the Judgement of Paris, blends the French apple brandy with Cocchi di Torino, lemon and rich Demerara syrup, topped with a generous dose of Angostura bitters and garnished with a cilantro sprig.
- 1 1/2 ounces calvados, preferably Lelouvier
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce rich Demerara syrup (2:1 Demerara sugar:water)
- Angostura bitters, to top
Garnish: cilantro sprig
- Combine all but the bitters in a snifter.
- Fill with pellet ice and swizzle.
- Top with a generous dose of Angostura bitters.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro.