Second place in our freezer Martini tasting was won by Julie Reiner, co-owner of the Brooklyn bars Clover Club and Leyenda. The tasters found it well-integrated and delicate, with none of the drink’s flavors dominating. “It makes me want more with each sip,” said PUNCH senior editor Chloe Frechette. “A very good before-dinner Martini,” noted bartender Meaghan Dorman. (Don’t look for this drink among the to-go offerings at Clover Club—it is Reiner’s at-home go-to.)
- 12 ounces gin, preferably Ford's
- 3 ounces vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi Riserva Speciale Ambrato
- 3 ounces dry vermouth, preferably Dolin Dry
- 10 dashes Angostura orange bitters
- 3 1/2 ounces distilled water
Garnish: lemon twist, tomolive
- Combine all ingredients in a 750 milliliter bottle.
- Store the bottle in the freezer for several hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, pour into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon twist and tomolive.