Pineau des Charentes has “become one of those ingredients that finds itself in a cocktail at the most unexpected times,” says Alex Day, of Death & Co., Honeycut and many more. At New York’s Nitecap, he and Natasha David use it to give extra boost and body to apple brandy and Irish Whiskey before rounding it out with a barspoon of peach preserves and a dash of orange bitters.
- 1 ounce apple brandy, preferably 8-year-old Clear Creek Pomme Eau de Vie
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey, preferably Jameson
- 3/4 ounces Pineau des Charentes, preferably Pierre Ferrand
- 1 barspoon peach preserves
- 1 dash orange bitters
Garnish: orange twist
- Place all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass and serve with an orange twist.