Inspired by the robust, nutty flavor of Kiroku sweet potato shochu, this is Thomas Waugh’s riff on the Espresso Martini. “The [Kuroki Honten] distillery is known for their use of black koji, which gives the final product a robust, nutty, full-flavored taste,” Waugh explains. “I immediately thought coffee (cocoa, nuts), and naturally the Espresso Martini.” Using orgeat as a sweetener accentuates the richness of the shochu and results in a variation with more depth and heft than the classic. Bonus: “Espresso Martinis are way better with flavorful spirits.”
- 2 ounces Kiroku sweet potato shochu
- 1 ounce espresso
- 1/2 ounce Orgeat Works Heavy Duty Toasted Almond Syrup
- 2 drops vanilla extract
Garnish: grated nutmeg
- Shake all ingredients with ice.
- Pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a small rocks glass.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.