Shannon Mustipher’s Outlaw was born from a “Manhattan template based on a funky Jamaican rum” that she’s been tinkering with for over a decade. The higher-proof Cynar 70 served as the key to solving this fresh take on the bitter and stirred Manhattan variations born in the late 2000s. “It’s a new way of looking at a drink that you already know and love,” says Mustipher.
- 1 1/2 ounces Cynar 70
- 1 ounce tequila reposado
- 1/2 ounce rhum agricole blanc
- 1 barspoon lime cordial (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: orange peel
- Add all the ingredients to a rocks glass.
- Add a large ice cube, and stir to chill.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
Combine 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepot, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool, then strain into a sealable container.