While getting her start at Sauvage, Florencia Garcia De Onrubia was introduced to an array of aperitifs, with quinquina (aka “kina”) being a standout. For her, “’spritz French’ defines that afternoon apéro moment.” Using kina as a base brings out an herbal bitterness that’s more unexpected in a spritz. Floral St-Germain adds balance while playing with the quince elements. “Together with citrus, they give off a bitter grapefruit taste that is refreshing and drying,” she mentions, “[it] makes you salivate the way an aperitif should.”
Florencia Garcia De Onrubia, Frenchette | New York
- 1/4 ounce Forthave Red
- 3/4 ounce St-Germain
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 1/4 ounces Kina L’Aero d’Or
- pétillant naturel, to top
Garnish: Grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients in a large wine glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Top with pét-nat of your choice.
- Garnish with grapefruit twist.