The now-widespread availability of cold-brew coffee, easier to work with than hot coffee that needs to be cooled, has given the Espresso Martini a boost—even if it means kicking the espresso to the curb. At Retreat Gastropub in St. Louis, cold-brew supports a base of rum in their unorthodox tiki-style “Espresso Martini.”
- 1 1/2 ounces dark rum, preferably Plantation
- 1 1/2 ounces cold-brew coffee
- 1/2 ounce Coco Lopez
- 1/4 ounce orgeat
Garnish: nutmeg dust
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Pour contents (including ice) into a Mai Tai glass.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.