Jon Mullen’s Shady Grove imagines an aperitivo twist on the Paloma, with a brief layover in France—what he dubs a “Palomaperitivo.” He achieves this by mixing together silky bianco vermouth with the bitter French gentian liqueur Suze and Calvados, though you can also can sub in another clear spirit with fruity or vegetal qualities, such as tequila, gin or rhum agricole.
Jon Mullen, Grand Army | Brooklyn, New York
- 1 1/3 ounces Bianco Vermouth,preferably Bordiga Vermouth Bianco
- 3/4 ounce Suze
- 3/4 ounce Calvados, preferably Roger Groult 3
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 ounce simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/2 ounces Fever-Tree Sparkling Grapefruit (chilled)
- Combine all the ingredients except the grapefruit soda in a mixing tin filled with ice.
- Shake until chilled, and fine-strain into a Collins glass filled with ice.
- Top with grapefruit soda.