Montana’s Trail House updates the classic whiskey sour with a walnut liqueur and a hefty dose of Angostura cordial (an original blend of citrus, spices and bitters) for a seasonal twist on the year-round staple.
- 1 ounce Angostura cordial (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce walnut liqueur, preferably Rapa Giovanni "Ratafia di Andorno" Liquore di Noci
- 1/2 ounce bourbon, preferably Medley Brothers
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3 drops saline solution (3:1, water:salt)
Garnish: Maraschino cherry wrapped in a lemon twist
- In a shaker tin, combine all ingredients with ice and shake.
- Double strain into a coupe and garnish with a skewered maraschino cherry wrapped in a lemon twist.
2 cups Angostura bitters
3 cups white rum
3 cups water
2 cups white cane sugar
2 cups demerara sugar cubes
peels of two lemons
peel of one orange
spice blend (2 cinnamon sticks, 3 pods star anise, 1 whole nutmeg, 5 allspice, 5 juniper berries)
Add all ingredients except for sugar into pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat then add sugar. Keep heat at medium and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and fine strain.