“Just like we’re better versions of ourselves 20 years later, so too is this Ultra-Cosmopolitan,” writes John deBary in his ’90s-inspired book, Saved by the Bellini. His take on the drink includes homemade saffron-spiked grenadine, which gives the cocktail “another layer of accessories.”
- 1 1/2 ounces citron vodka
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce ultragrenadine (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce Cointreau or triple sec
Garnish: lime wheel
- In a shaker, combine all ingredients.
- Add ice and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel on the rim of the glass.
Yield: about 5 cups
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
2 cups filtered water, divided
2 black tea bags
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup 100 percent pomegranate juice, such as POM
1 cup 100 percent cranberry juice, such as R.W. Knudsen
1. In a small airtight container, combine the saffron with 1 cup of filtered water. (If not using saffron, skip this step and use filtered water instead.) Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight. Meanwhile, in a separate small airtight container, pour the remaining 1 cup of filtered water over the tea bags. Let sit, covered, overnight.
2. Strain the liquid from both infusions into a medium saucepan, discarding the saffron threads and tea bags. Add the sugar and both juices. Place the pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or in the freezer for up to 3 months.