Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Following a global surge in whiskey’s popularity, producers are looking for alternatives to American white oak barrels.
– Controversial Scottish brewery, BrewDog, intends to “disrupt” the time honored traditions of distilling with their new spirits company, Lone Wolf Distillery.
– Not far from the Rio Olympics, Modern Farmer spends a day sampling local fare on Copacabana beach, including “very large” caipirinhas.
– In Lucky Peach, Justin Kennedy offers 11 ways to “adulterate” your beer, from the Snake Bite beer cocktail to the Beerbucha.
– The “Indiana Jones of Alcohol,” Patrick McGovern, a beer archeologist responsible for recreating some of humanity’s oldest drinks, offers his insight on the role of alcohol in shaping civilization.
– Finally, Roads & Kingdoms takes a close look at Steven Soderbergh’s Bolivian spirit brand, Singani 63.
[Photo: Flickr/Christer Edvartsen]