Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– A project led by Spanish vintners to preserve threatened grape species has produced enough of six Catalan varietals to plant vineyards.
– Aaron Goldfarb examines what global cocktail competitions contribute to the industry.
– Abhainn Dearg, a nascent distillery in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides—a region that hasn’t made whisky in almost two centuries—has created a highly anticipated single malt set to be released in 2018.
– A pre-game ritual of early morning tequila shots was the secret to success for Mexico’s greatest soccer team.
– Rosie Schaap offers her suggestions on the drinks best suited to toast Shakespeare on the 400th anniversary of the bard’s death.
– Finally, you can now earn a Bachelor’s Degree in brewing at Southern Illinois University.