“With this Old-Fashioned riff, I really wanted to put together flavors that brought out the natural toasted vanilla that I got from the [Elijah Craig] bourbon itself,” Castro explains. He homed in on bitter chocolate and roasted coffee, which he plays up with chocolate bitters and coffee amaro, respectively. The toothsome end result: “a vanilla mocha, except in the form of an amaro-accented Old-Fashioned
- 2 ounces Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon
- ¼ ounce crème de cacao
- ¼ ounce Caffè Amaro (a coffee liqueur–amaro hybrid made by J. Rieger)
- 1 dash chocolate bitters
Garnish: dehydrated orange zest
- Stir all ingredients with ice.
- Strain into a double Old-Fashioned glass over a large cube of ice.
- Grate dehydrated orange zest over top to garnish.