“The Boogie Nights really sells itself once it hits the table. It’s a chain reaction,” says Thai Diner’s Vince Ott. “As soon as we have a few go out on the floor and our guests see others drinking it, they start to fly out from the bar ” The multi-colored frozen drink mixes blanco tequila and lime juice jazzed up with maraschino liqueur, dragon fruit purée along with bright pops of citrus from makrut lime syrup and makrut lime sugar-salt rim. An unexpected herbaceous spritz of green Chartreuse finishes the drink, which is garnished with a pineapple frond and cheeky paper umbrella. “I think every drink we have here is really fun and looks like a party and it was definitely important that whatever frozen drink we did carried on that sentiment and maybe pushed it further,” says Ott.
- makrut lime sugar-salt rim (see Editor's Note)
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce makrut lime simple syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon dragon fruit purée (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: green Chartreuse spritz, pineapple frond, paper umbrella
- Rim a chilled rocks glass with makrut lime sugar-salt rim.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the dragon fruit purée, in a blender and blend until cold and smooth.
- Add dragon fruit purée to the bottom of the chilled glass, then pour in the frozen blend for a layered effect.
- Spritz the top of the finished drink with green Chartreuse through an atomize.
- Garnish with a pineapple from and paper umbrella.
Makrut Lime Sugar-Salt Rim:
Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt and 2 makrut lime leaves to a food processor and combine until leaves are broken down. Store in a covered container.
Makrut Lime Simple Syrup:
Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 2-3 makrut lime leaves in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to completely cool, then blitz the flavored syrup in a blender to fully combine. Fine-strain to remove any leaf particles and store refrigerated in a resealable container.
Dragon Fruit Purée:
Scoop out the contents of one red dragon fruit and blend with just enough water to thin out so that you can store it in a squeeze bottle. Will keep up to two days refrigerated.