The caffeinated cocktail gets a granita upgrade in this recipe from Jelani Johnson. Because the Espresso Martini doesn’t call for juice, its texture when frozen and whipped comes out more fragmented, like shaved ice, rather than a frappé. Johnson recommends serving this rum-based take with unsweetened evaporated milk or cream for a richer, rounder texture and dessert-like feel.
- 2 ounces rum, preferably El Dorado 3-year
- 2 ounces fresh-pulled espresso
- 1 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar to water, by volume)
- 1 ounce water
Garnish: whipped unsweetened evaporated milk (optional)
- Add all ingredients to an 8- or 16-ounce deli container and stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and freeze overnight.
- After 24 hours, use a fork to scrape and whip the mixture until it reaches a slushy texture.
- Serve in a chilled glass and top with whipped unsweetened evaporated milk, if using.