Milo and Miguel Salehi’s Green Emanuelle is an experiment in what they call “color as flavor.” Realizing that they had no green cocktails on their menu, they set out to capture the flavor of green in a synesthesiac combination of all of their favorite green ingredients, including cucumber, kiwi, Thai lime leaf and absinthe, layered atop vodka, elderflower liqueur and manzanilla sherry. The result is a bright, verdant cocktail that has become one of the most popular drinks of all time at The Beehive.
Milo and Miguel Salehi, The Beehive | San Francisco
- 1 ounce vodka, preferably Grey Goose
- 1/2 ounce St-Germain
- 1/2 ounce manzanilla sherry
- 1 1/2 ounces kiwi-cucumber fresca (See Editor's Note)
- 4 dashes absinthe
- 1 1/2 ounces soda water
- 1 Thai lime leaf
- 1 slice cucumber
Garnish: cucumber and Thai lime leaf
- Combine all ingredients, except for the soda water, in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a highball glass, top with soda water, and fill with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice and Thai lime leaf.
3/4 liter kiwi juice
1/4 liter cucumber juice
1/2 liter rich simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
8 3/4 grams Thai lime leaves
Combine the first three ingredients to form the fresca, then, in a blender combine the Thai lime leaves and a small portion of the fresca. Blend for a few seconds and then strain the mixture into the existing batch.