An update to Lost Lake’s 2015 take on the classic, this version employs much higher-proof rum for extra flavor and punch. It also adds a lime hull to the shaker, a technique Trader Vic used in his 1944 classic, which releases extra lime oils into the drink.
- 1 ounce rhum agricole, preferably Neisson Eleve Sous Bois Rhum Agricole
- 1/2 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Smith and Cross
- 1/2 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Plantation Xamayca
- 1/2 ounce Curaçao, preferably Pierre Ferrand
- 1 ounce lime juice, plus the spent hull
- 3/4 ounce orgeat, preferably Small Hand Foods
- 1/4 ounce demerara syrup (2:1)
Garnish: mint bouquet, orange floret, orchid
- Using a hand squeezer, hand squeeze lime juice and drop the hull into mixing tin.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with 4 Kold Draft ice cubes.
- Pour into a Mai Tai glass.
- Top with an additional 1 cup of crushed ice.
- Garnish with big mint bouquet, orange floret, orchid, swizzle stick and straw.