A riff on Trader Vic’s “Tequila Matador,” this drink showcases another agave-based spirit: sotol. “This cocktail is helping the category of sotol to be more recognized,” says Alex Valencia, noting that the drink is a customer favorite. Use fresh-pressed pineapple juice if you can.
- 2 ounces sotol
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup (2:1, agave nectar:water)
- 4-5 drops habanero-infused vodka (see Editor's Note)
- 1 small pinch cilantro
Garnish: lemon peel, dried chile pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Twist lemon peel over top of drink to express essential oils, then discard the peel.
- Garnish a dried chile pepper.
1 habanero pepper
1 cup vodka
Slice habanero pepper in half and steep it in vodka for 3-5 hours. Remove pepper and discard.