Chuhai is a Japanese term for a shochu highball. This bright, crushable cocktail combines Calpico with California citrus, lemongrass-infused shochu and gin, topped with what Karen Fu calls a “zesty, yet delicate” tonic water. The addition of Calpico lends texture and body that’s “serendipitously milk and slightly fizzy.”
- 1 dash orange flower water
- 2 kumquats, halved
- 1/2 ounce cane syrup (1:1 evaporated cane sugar to water)
- 1/2 ounce Calpico
- 3/4 ounce Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce shochu, preferably Mizu Lemongrass Shochu
- 1 1/2 ounce gin, preferably Roku or Martin Miller’s
- East Imperial Tonic Water
Garnish: kumquat slice
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and muddle kumquats. Shake.
- Strain into a highball glass over ice.
- Top with tonic water.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with kumquat slice.