Yanni Kehagiaras’s sherry-based aperitif was inspired by the “notion of being on a raft off the coast of a tropical island.” The dryness of the manzanilla suggests a sea spray of sorts, amplified by actual salt in the velvet falernum. A splash of green chartreuse “brings a subtle vegetal accent, which acts as the seaweed” in this enticing ode to the sea.
- 2 ounces manzanilla sherry, preferably Bodega Hidalgo La Gitana
- 1/4 ounce salted velvet falernum (see Editor's Note)
- 2 milliliters (1 to 2 dashes) green Chartreuse
- Build all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Stir well and strain into a cordial glass.
Salted Velvet Falernum:
15 grams kosher salt
750 milliliter bottle of velvet falernum, preferably John D. Taylor's
Add salt to velvet falernum and shake bottle gently for a few minutes until salt is dissolved.