Seattle bartender Jen Akin adds amaro to her tiki-style cocktail for added depth. “I love the bittersweet and savory elements of Cynar and I think this cocktail really showcases those elements,” says Akin on her drink, The Turnbuckle. “The nuttiness of the orgeat and the tart fruit from the passionfruit play beautifully with Cynar; [it’s] a perfectly balanced bittersweet and tropical cocktail.”
- 1 ounce Cynar
- 3/4 ounce Jamaican rum
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce passionfruit syrup, preferably BG Reynolds
- 1/4 ounce orgeat, preferably Giffard
Garnish: edible orchid, mint bouquet
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing tin filled with crushed ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour contents of shaker into a double Old-Fashioned glass or tropical tiki glass.
- Garnish with an orchid and a mint bouquet.