Credited to London’s since-shuttered LAB bar, this drink nods to the custardy Italian dessert, which layers creamy mascarpone with ladyfingers soaked in espresso and booze. “Any kind of cheese in a cocktail, normally I’d run for the hills,” jokes Naren Young, proprietor of New York’s Dante. But here, a mere teaspoon adds a luscious touch. Meanwhile, Mr. Black’s Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur adds the appropriately caffeinated punch. “I liked that this one had some coffee beans used in its production,” compared to other liqueurs that are merely coffee-flavored sweeteners. A grating of dark Valrhona chocolate on top lends the finishing dessert-like touch to the drink.
- 3/4 ounce Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce Marsala wine
- 1/2 ounce white crème de cacao
- 1 1/2 ounces espresso, chilled
- 1 dash simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mascarpone cheese
- 2 dashes chocolate bitters
Garnish: shaved dark chocolate
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate.