“For years, I marveled over the South Pacific tiki bars I visited on dive trips as an instructor, the types where you pay for your drink with the soggy money stashed in your swimsuit pocket,” says Todd Thrasher. This riff on the classic Tequila Sunrise uses blue Curaçao—a surprising departure from rosy grenadine—to represent “the crystal clear waters from my diving days.”
- 1 1/4 ounces tequila
- 1/4 ounce vodka
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounces passion fruit juice (preferably Goya)
- 1/4 ounce blue Curaçao
- 3 drops saline solution (2:1, water:salt)
- Combine all ingredients, except the blue Curaçao, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a wine glass.
- Add the blue Curaçao, carefully pouring it down the side of the glass so it settles on the bottom.